Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cheese cake

The recipe has been in my family over 40 years. It was said to have been stolen from an upscale New York City hotel. I don't think anyone's rights are violated by sharing it with you.

If you're going to eat stuff like this...eat REALLY GOOD STUFF:

Mix 1.25 cups graham cracker crumbs with .5 cup melted butter. Line bottom of angel food cake pan and sprinkle with pecans.

Beat well 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until fluffy with 3 8-oz. packages of softened cream cheese.

Pour in pan and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove and cool 10 minutes. Set oven to 475 degrees.

Over top spoon .5 pt. sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cook 5 minutes. Chill before cutting.

Several inches thick and devilishly rich.

Important note: the cream cheese must be room temperature. I burned up a handheld mixer trying to fluff the cream cheese, and the one I have now won't do it. I recommend a commercial stand mixer.