Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dodd's bill creates stunning new database to track all online sales, purchases and credit card transactions

Digby doesn't understand Barack's supporting telecom immunity.

If she'd been reading the few things I write she would. I even told her that. But she doesn't. So, she doesn't. I despise telephone and internet companies, and in about a week will attempt to go through the rest of my life without them. So, I may not be writing here—but don't count on it.

Election fixation is letting a lot of really big deals slip under the radar. Did you know Connecticut Sen. Christopher Dodd's senate housing legislation contains a breathtaking, sweeping provision to create a new federal database which collects each and every online purchase, sale and credit card transaction? You can read about it here. Hat tip to Janet.

This has little or nothing to do with lobbying. The same thing causing Barack to support exonerating lawbreaking phone companies and the politicians enabling them makes this legislative provision and others like it happen: the more powerful, secret budget operations thought to consume one-fourth of the gross national product. Because of that, there are those who advocate bulldozing Washington. I prefer to think Washington needs our help, and I don't mean by writing on blogs.