Friday, August 3, 2007

History repeats

The Secret Government is a documentary narrated by Bill Moyers (aired in 1987). It deals with Executive Branch power and ends justify the means policies by examining the Iran Contra scandal.

Of special relevance is Lt. Col. Oliver North showing no remorse and framing the Iran-Contra activities as a patriotic endeavor. At one point Sen. Inouye reminded North of the military oath and it was devastating as Inouye cut through all the "I have no regrets about serving my President" spin. North's lawyer (Brendan Sullivan) seemed to realize the impact of Inouye's rebuke and started whining. Sullivan had the nerve to claim Inouye was making a personal attack by reminding North that he had an obligation not to follow illegal orders from a superior. North's testimony reminded me of Sara Taylor saying she took an oath to the President.

Another exchange that resonates with the current administration:

(paraphrased transcript from the documentary)

Bill Moyers:

Assume I'm President and I say Professor Firmage that's all wonderful but I deal in an ugly world. The United States is a wonderful place relatively because of the Constitution but beyond our borders it's a pretty ugly world, people don't like us, people don't share our values, people are out to get us, and if I don't do the ugly things that are necessary to protect us from an ugly world you won't be able to exercise the right of free speech out at your University.

Professor Edwin Firmage:

I would say poppycock Mr. President. That is simply nonsense. The whole fight is over means not ends. Every President with every good intention and every tyrant with whatever his intention has used precisely the same argument. That is don't constrain me by means and I will get you there safely and well. And I think anytime we accept a reason of state argument to justify means that are totally incongruent with the values of our state, we are on the high road to tyranny and we deserve to be there.