Saturday, August 11, 2007

Come on, all you strong young men

The long-awaited meltdown of the global economy is the happening story this week, and I saved some links with tons of gory details. I'll do my best to get that out this weekend, because it's 3 a.m. and I'm not up to it. If you think the country is unhappy now, just wait six months!

Gen. Douglas Lute, war czar/Bush scapegoat, says of course the draft is on the table:

You know, that’s a national policy decision point that we have not yet reached…I think it makes sense to certainly consider it, and I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table…

Cheney called it Kerry waffling three years ago:

Cheney said President Bush wanted to stay on the offensive with a global military solution to terrorism, but he called draft rumors "a myth that John Kerry is peddling."

• If the matter was settled, why did Rep. Charles B. Rangel introduce a bill in February, 2006 to reinstitute the draft? I'll bet they know something we don't! You can track its progress here. As soon as the Subcommittee on Military Personnel signs off, Selective Service can deliver 100,000 inductees in the first 30 days—and this time, everyone aged 18-42 is eligible.